Monday 16 April 2012

Saying Yes to Change



I received a good sign today.

I'd love to tell you I am 100% sure I've done the right thing, but the truth is, I'm not. It's my last week in my job and it feels unreal. Last week I was feeling very emotional about leaving. This is hard. I've spent 6 years in that place. Six years of my life - that's a long time. While I may not have enjoyed the work, I did have plenty of fun, laughs and good times along the way as well, so leaving is still big deal. It hasn't sunk in yet. In my head I still think I will be back there on Monday morning. I've always worked. Even during the years I worked as a temp and work was sporadic, I was still nevertheless working. Slogging and slaving in jobs I hate. My brain has not been able to compute that I will no longer be working. No alarm going off in the morning. No getting ready for work. No driving to the office. No desk to sit at.

One of my colleagues felt it hit her today that next Monday I won't be there, and the person taking over from me, just doesn't have the same personality as I do and she won't have the same fun and laughs that we had. So in the kitchen at work we stood while she was in tears and almost angry at me for leaving! :)  I have farewells coming up this week and I just hope I will not be balling my eyes out.

So yes, I do wonder if I've made the right decision. In an unstable economic environment where so many people are looking for work, I gave up a perfectly good, stable, secure job. I must be mad, right?
But deep in my heart I just feel it is the right choice at this time. I know it will probably be hard. I think I will have many moments in the next few months where I am going to feel lost and without direction. I think I will feel desperation as money runs thin - well hopefully it won't get to that point. Surely, new opportunities are to be found on this new path? This I firmly believe.

But I digress... on to my good sign!
I am subscribed to the blog The Bold Life. There was a giveaway to two readers of a book by Alex Blackwell called "Saying Yes to Change: 10 Timeless Life Lessons for creating Positive Change". All you had to do was share it on Facebook and Twitter and leave a comment. So I did that and I thought if I win this book, that would be a good sign. Guess what - I won a copy of the book! In the midst of my angst, I got this small sign that I am doing the right thing. Here I am facing major change in my life, and I win a book on making changes in your life!

Something tells me this new road I'm on is going to bring many similar moments of surprise and astonishment! It's amazing what can happen when you open yourself up to new possibilities. I am excited to see how things are going to work out and fall in to place. I firmly believe they will.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Deev,

    Can I just tell you I was working in a job I didn't connect with for 5 years? It's true. Even then, I felt sad while leaving. We're wired that way -- we love comfort even though it doesn't serve us. And we hate change.

    Good on you on making the decision. And congrats on receiving the sign.

    Love,
    Pooja

    ReplyDelete